Saturday, February 18, 2012

From bad lands


That we can meet and become friends over dreams, as much as by any other time-honored method or spontaneous way, is inspiring and heartening indeed. In that regard I’ve been lucky in recent years, since I began recording and sharing some of mine. One such connection is Giacomo Conserva, a psychiatrist and psychotherapist in Parma, Italy, who found his way to this blog via four lines by Auden:

From bad lands, where eggs are small and dear,
Climbing to worse by a stonier
Track, when all are spent, we hear it — the right song
For the wrong time of year.

I found and read them first on the title page of a Modern Library edition of Auden’s work. The lines soaked in to such an extent that they eventually returned to me in a dream, which I put down simply as “Dreaming Auden,” and which Giacomo so kindly shares in this entry of his blog.

And so the dream continues.


6 comments:

-K- said...

The inter-connectedness of it all, dreams to Auden to the Internet and back again, continues to amaze me.

William Michaelian said...

As it does me. I see no boundary between any one and another; then again, I’m not looking for one. Thanks, Kevin.

Stickup Artist said...

Talk about interconnectedness. I clicked the link and was brought up short by the David Hockney photo collage of The Pearblossom Highway in the header of Giacomo Conserva's blog (from Parma, Italy) !!!

William Michaelian said...

Almost as if the “stonier track” were 138 itself....

Aleks said...

very nice

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Aleksandra....