Monday, May 28, 2012

Abraham and Sunny Jim



Family Bible belonging to my great-grandparents,
given to my great-grandfather
by a friend in 1875













I’ve almost finished reading Carl Sandburg’s powerful six-volume 3,400-page biography of Abraham Lincoln. Next on my reading list is the beautiful old book pictured here, after which I plan a thorough study of Milton, followed by Shakespeare. Meanwhile, I’m nearly halfway through Samvel Mkrtchyan’s wonderful Armenian translation of James Joyce’s Ulysses. Abraham and Sunny Jim — it is that kind of spring.


6 comments:

-K- said...

You seem to have limitless things to photograph in your house.

And there's that wonderful blue typewriter again.

William Michaelian said...

The Ancient Mariner has an albatross around his neck; you have a camera; I have an old Royal.

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

William this is so precipua, is moving so much meaning and storyes inside... Hope you are well see you!

William Michaelian said...

I’m well, Laura, and I hope you are too. Thanks for coming to see this old family treasure.

Momo Luna said...

Wow, yes a treasure. Especially the last photograph is intruiging to me. Just to lay your hand upon that old bible and to feel, nothing else....

William Michaelian said...

My great-grandparents held this book in their laps. Their fingertips scanned the letters. And that is the only the beginning.... Thank you, Monica.