Saturday, August 11, 2012

Book Spine Poetry



Stone cottage — identity in crisis along the riverrun


by James Longenbach

by Alan Durant

by Richard Ellmann


In all likelihood, if not for friend and fellow blogger Jonathan Chant, I wouldn’t have seen this notice for the book spine poetry contest being held on LibraryThing. The idea is to create a poem using book spines. Since most of my books are old worn hardcovers (a form of poetry in and of itself), I thought I’d have a hard time coming up with an entry. But, as it so happens, there’s a stack of books slightly behind my desk and to my left, at about half an arm’s length, many with dust jackets. It took only five seconds or so to identify the “poem” above. All three books are part of a much larger gift of books (173 in all!) from another friend and fellow blogger, Gerry Boyd. All I have to do now is read them.


12 comments:

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Robert. Yours is beautiful.

Anthony Duce said...

It’s interesting how often what we are looking for is waiting for this kind of moment. A good reason to keep a cluttered office or studio.

William Michaelian said...

Definitely. And I find something similar happens during the writing process, as I’m sure it does when you’re drawing and painting. Thanks, Anthony.

Jonathan Chant said...

Excellent. I knew that you'd work your magic with this.

Great poem, William.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Jonathan. And the approach, it seems, is every bit as reliable as my usual one — not that there is anything usual about the arrival, or appearance, of a poem....

William Michaelian said...

...and yours, most certainly, is far from being just another brick in the wall.

Jonathan Chant said...

Thank you! Very well connected...

William Michaelian said...

Another book spine poem, this one by Tanya: beautiful, and beautifully done.

táne-mar said...

thank you for the inspiration!

William Michaelian said...

Our pleasure, Tanya, and the feeling goes both ways. Thank you!

Wanda Lea Brayton said...

Ahhh...I enjoyed reading all of these. I wrote one in October 2011, should you care to read it - here's the link.

http://allpoetry.com/poem/9028985-Shuddering-by-WandaLeaBrayton

William Michaelian said...

Delightful, Wanda. Thank you.