Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Works of Rabelais




faithfully translated from the French,
with variorum notes, and numerous illustrations by Gustave Doré,
privately printed with twenty new additional illustrations


In a routine search online, I could find little information on this volume, some of which was contradictory. A few sources are under the impression that this was a pirated edition, and it is generally agreed (guessed) that it was published sometime during the first quarter of the twentieth century. The book measures approximately 7 x 10 ¾ inches, and contains numerous illustrations by Gustave Doré, which are also found in many other editions. This particular volume differs in that it also contains illustrations by one William Siegel. The translation is by Thomas Urquhart (a fascinating character in his own right) and Peter Anthony Motteux. What got me started in this direction were engaging essays on Urquhart and François Villon in a collection by Charles Whibley called Studies in Frankness (1912). And so as soon as I finish François Villon: A Documented Survey, by D.B. Wyndham-Lewis, I’ll move ahead one century to Rabelais; and then, from there yet another century forward, I’ll wade into the recently acquired Molière volumes. Yes, I know how fascinating this all must sound. But this is the way I go about my life.


10 comments:

L.W.Roth, said...

I think we should wade where prompted by interest. I do. And it all flows together at some point down the road. You're an intuitive reader.

William Michaelian said...

Well, I must say, I’m comfortable with the approach. And when I lose interest in something, or find it dense or beyond my ken, I don’t worry myself over it, I just move on.

Stickup Artist said...

First Blake, then Rabelais, and I see Moliere has joined in too! I could live with just those for at least a year, no problem. What joy!

William Michaelian said...

Absolutely. They are amazing, inspiring companions....

Ed Baker said...

I JUST ENTERED THIS:
http://www.forgottenbookmarks.com/2012/09/friday-giveaway-lets-get-eloquent.html

best hurry-up it's over in an hour.

If I win... the prize is yours.... you pay S & H !

William Michaelian said...

Gladly, sir!

Bitch said...

You have chosen the best companions,
dear William!
Salute and a very good night!!!

William Michaelian said...

Or did they choose me? Best wishes, Monika, and thank you.

Dwight said...

Actually it does sound fascinating. What a good looking edition...being a little vague always adds to the intrigue!

William Michaelian said...

That it does. And I haven’t altered my approach one whit. With but ninety-nine pages to go, I’m still on track for Molière. But those volumes are so heavy I’ll probably need a neck brace. How I suffer.