Friday, December 28, 2012

Pushkin’s Button


Here is a list of the books I read this year, presented in the order of their completion dates. Some are monumental multi-volume projects. I began Elbert Hubbard’s Little Journeys in the latter part of 2011. Similarly, I will likely finish with Shakespeare in January. I doubt very much, though, that he will be finished with me.

I should also note that this list would be much longer if it included books I read but didn’t finish. I browse several every day, sampling passages and pages at random, taking in chapters here and there. Just yesterday, for instance, I read the first two chapters of Pushkin’s Button, a book about the last four months of the poet’s life, leading up to the time he was killed in a duel.

And so it goes: the more I read, the more I want to read; the more crowded my library, the more books I need.




This dimly lit room full of old books
is my “parlor and workspace.”

(Photo: December 28, 2012)

~

Rambles with Anatole France
by Itóka Margaret Juliet Marchisiu de Bölöni

The Gods Are A-Thirst
by Anatole France

The Vicar of Wakefield
by Oliver Goldsmith

Avowals
by George Moore

Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides
James Boswell

Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great
(fourteen volumes)
by Elbert Hubbard

Letters of James Whitcomb Reilly
by James Whitcomb Reilly

A Magnificent Farce and Other Diversions of a Book Collector
by Edward A. Newton

The Life of Samuel Johnson
(three volumes)
by James Boswell

Comfort Found in Good Old Books
by George Hamlin Fitch

A Family
by Carl Larsson and Lennart Rudström

Abraham Lincoln
(six volumes)
by Carl Sandburg

Thread of the Real
by Joseph Hutchison

Journey to Virginland: Epistle 1
by Armen Melikian

Balzac in Slippers
by Léon Gazlan

Juliette Drouet’s Love Letters to Victor Hugo
by Juliette Drouet

The Satyricon
by Petronius

François Villon: A Documented Survey
by D.B. Wyndham Lewis

Ulysses
(Armenian translation)
by James Joyce

Rasselas: Prince of Abyssinia
by Samuel Johnson

Anatole France Himself: A Boswellian Record
by Jacques Brousson

The Works of Rabelais
by François Rabelais

The Works of Molière
(six volumes)
by Molière

The Earth-Boat
by Joseph Hutchison

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
(ten volumes)
by William Shakespeare


5 comments:

Jonathan Chant said...

Thank you so much for sharing this William. Inspiring...

Joseph Hutchison said...

You have no idea how it feels to find my little Earth-Boat bobbing between the two great waves of Molière and Shakespeare! And Thread like a stray whisker dropped from Sandburg's Lincoln. I'm heartened and daunted at once, William! Thanks for including me....

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Jonathan. I might also have mentioned that most of these books came my way by chance: I did not seek them out, they found me. And to do them justice someday, I hope to repay my debt in wiser living and better writing.

Joe, I thank you for doing the work and all that that entails. You’ve given me both knowledge and joy — and that means a richer life.

Jan said...

I love your thoughts here, William and I am so in love with your beautiful library. You are such an inspiration and a true bibliophile if ever there was one~~~

William Michaelian said...

Thanks very much, Jan. To me this room is alive. In atmosphere and appearance, it changes with each book I bring in. May I change with it, and in a good way.