Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Book



Like the Loti, Gautier, and Stendhal volumes
pictured in this entry, these six volumes were purchased recently
at Powell’s Books in Portland, Oregon.

(For more details, click on the links.)




by George Moore (1923)

by Anatole France (1918)

by Boccaccio (c. 1900)

by H.D. Rawnsley (1901)

by William Mathews (1876)

by Charles Dickens (1870)


Also purchased, but not pictured:

by George du Maurier (1963)

The Bachelor of Salamanca, Vol. I, Vol. II
by Alain René le Sage (1868)


And here are some other recent acquisitions:




The Correspondence of John Lothrop Motley, Vol. I, Vol. II (1889)

Purefoy Letters, Vol. I, Vol. II (1931)

Gil Blas of Santillana, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III (c. 1898)


I also received several beautiful old books
from my son (and book-buying companion) for Christmas.

And this, I am ever pleased to say, is only the tip of the iceberg....


4 comments:

Jan said...

These books are priceless pieces of art, William, "old Masters"~~~

Jan

William Michaelian said...

All of them great companions, too. Thank you, Jan. You and I are on the same wavelength.

Christopher Blaum said...

William;

That is a very special book you have there, France's "Garden of Epicurus"...the title essay within is, to my mind, the most beautifully succinct piece on mankind's place in this vast universe I've ever read.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Christopher. I will give it special attention.