Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I was the angel


I’ve been walking this route for years, stretching my muscles and expanding my lungs after nightfall. Alone in my dreams and affairs, I watch the clouds and the moon and the stars, listen to the houses, and yield my primitive self to the scented air.

Yesterday evening, just as I was passing by, an old man fell in the street near his mailbox. I was the angel who rescued him. In the dark, near the sidewalk, blood running from a scrape above his eye, I made a quick, reassuring assessment of his condition. We were immediate friends. Perhaps now he no longer remembers me. All the better.

Ninety if he was a day, I went to the house for his wife, let myself in through the door in their garage, called out, tried not to startle her with the strangeness of my voice. She, not much younger than he, back curved, trusting, followed me to the curb.

“I think you’d best call an ambulance, my love.”

It was that “my love” that made an angel of me.

Help arrived. One last touch of the hand.

The moon took me home.



9 comments:

Jan said...

Be it a dream, or not...you are an angel of the earth, William, my friend.
I would not fear you "my love"...I would find comfort in your words and welcome your help...as the moon and the stars watched the drama unfold far below~~~

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Jan. This was indeed a real happening; I marvel that I left our house when I did, and that I walked at exactly the speed necessary to arrive just as this elderly neighbor fell. It was touching, moving, to hear him address his wife as “my love,” which he did twice in my presence. Now, with the passing hours, I realize he is the angel every bit as much as I. We each shared a great bit of good fortune.

Jan said...

It was meant to be, William...you are an earth angel :) I love the endearment "my love" that he used to calm his wife...so precious is the love between a couple who have been together for so many years. We need more couples such as they are...

Jonathan Chant said...

What an experience. Glad that all ended well and that you have shared this with us with your fine, fine words.

William Michaelian said...

Jonathan, thanks very much....

manik sharma said...

Will,

This was a an experience worth the words you put them in..and by that we shared the same fortune as well..glad you could share it..

William Michaelian said...

And I’m glad you were here to read it, Manik, and for your kind words.

erin said...

oh, and i misread it and all the better for it for i thought you had addressed her as my love. and didn't you really anyway without the words but in your touch? and aren't we all lovers, brothers and sisters?

gorgeous happening. lucky you. lucky her. lucky him.

and now, lucky me.

xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

Erin, I almost thought to clarify “my love,” but a little voice suggested I leave it alone. So I did. And now here we are.