Thursday, June 9, 2016

Entr’acte


My eight-year-old computer is failing and I will be replacing it next week. It bubbles, it wheezes, it hesitates, it stalls. It is outdated. It is no longer supported, except by my desk. When I click on the link that leads to your page, it takes me to an earlier time when shovels ruled and the snows were undefiled on solemn slopes. Is that you I see waving in the distance? How silly I must appear, a twisted, bearded elf pulling the stops, firing toy cannons. What you say I can’t hear, what you show me I can’t see, what you mean I can’t fathom. The new computer, meanwhile, will be wonderful. It will be a pristine notebook I am afraid to write in. I will stare at it for hours, then I will go and wash my hands. O Profundity! Omar Serif of the Sans! Oh, how I love thee, my Friend! Forgive me, remember me, ’til then!


4 comments:

Jonathan Chant said...

Love this William. You did well to get eight years out of your machine.

William Michaelian said...

Or did it get eight years out of me? This page barely opened. And now, the light begins to fade....

Jan said...

Whew!!! For awhile I thought you were describing me, William, and the "eight years" was a typo :)
This was great writing and I enjoyed loved it~

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Jan. It is so ridiculous, this life I lead. Little by little I’m getting the hang of this new computer. Another eight years, and I just might have it!