Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I could fall for you


I could fall for you, like the first leaf,
before falling is fashionable, when everyone else
is still clinging and green and oblivious
to change.

I could fall for you, without you seeing
or knowing what I have done, and wait patiently,
and calm, until all the other leaves
have come and gone.

I could fall for you, like a mysterious, scented glove
on the dance floor during your favorite song,
five fingers and an open palm,
alive, yet still, like love.

So, fall already, I hear you say, fall,
you old romantic fool, fall the way you did
in school, and I will fall for you,
as all the leaves come down.

And so we will, so we will, even to our end
in the cold, hard ground, so we will, so we will,
that the young may know that letting go
is the sweetest love of all.



2 comments:

all ways 11 o'clock said...

love this william.

William Michaelian said...

I'm glad, Robert. Warm thanks for saying so.