Tuesday, December 13, 2016

I love the little chores


I love the little chores, and think not a one beneath me. Dishes, dusting, washing, sweeping, wiping, cleaning. Indoors. Outdoors. Rooftop. Windows. Garden. Gutters. Worn out rugs. Scratched floors. Blinds. Corners. Each says, “You are here. You are lucky. You have food. You have shelter. You have shade. You have warmth.” I commune with keepsakes. I admire the wear and tear on our old family silverware, the chips in everyday cups my parents used and that we still do. To me, housework is a time to marvel at the beautiful, mysterious lives of what are thought of by many as “ordinary objects.” It is not a job to do, but one more opportunity to be grateful. I never say, Now I’m writing, Now I’m drawing, Now I’m dreaming, Now I’m cleaning, Now I’m shopping for groceries. I say, Rejoice. Each breath is a poem.



8 comments:

Jan/JFM said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this my dear fried...it's beautifully written and I feel the same way~

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Jan. I knew you did. I can tell by every word you write and picture you share....

Jonathan Chant said...

I was just putting off loading the dishwasher: now you have inspired me to go and tackle the task in the right frame of mind. Fab write, William.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Jonathan. I had the idea years ago to remove our dishwasher and install bookshelves in its place. The dishwasher is still there, though. But the books are closing in. It's just a matter of time.

Keri Phillips said...

Beautifully written William. :)

William Michaelian said...

Keri, that’s so nice of you. Thanks for looking in.

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

William: my wife is wondering if you'd like to visit us in Texas for a week or two. She says we have enough chores to do to keep you very, very happy. 😁

William Michaelian said...

How very kind and generous of her! But I would hate to deprive you of the fun.