Saturday, February 25, 2017

A worthwhile experiment


Yesterday, I wrote briefly about how negative thoughts undermine our mental and physical health. This is something I learned through my own experience, and which I observe in others on a daily basis — to the point that I’ve never seen a person who is caught up in negativity, who is also happy and free. But certainly I don’t know everything. Maybe you can honestly look at yourself and see negativity having a positive effect in your life — improving your outlook, your digestion, your general health, and your ability to see love and joy and good wherever it may spontaneously arise. I’m not saying you can’t or don’t see and experience these things. I’m asking whether or not you think negativity is a help or a hindrance. I know the intellect says, “We must defeat evil at all costs.” But I also know that love says, “Let us first see the evil within us, and make ourselves the best and strongest vessel in these restless waters.” Or something like that. Love whispers strange, beautiful, poetic things, certainly more so, and ever more simply and profoundly, than I am now. But let’s leave that judgment aside. Let’s ask again, whether you honestly think, and have honestly observed, that you are mentally and physically healthier than you would be if you set your negativity aside. Have you, who likely have respect for modern scientific method, even tried? Because it’s a worthwhile experiment. “But we need solutions and answers, and we need them now!” you cry. “There’s no time for this philosophical meandering of yours!” No time? After all these centuries of destructive history, this ongoing battle of strong puppets versus weak puppets over flags and honor and wealth? No time? You who are scientific, don’t you see that this particular phase of the experiment has run its course, and that it’s worthwhile to look somewhere else? If you believe in revolution and the possibility of a healthier, happier, more just world, isn’t it logical to embody that revolution first in yourself?



2 comments:

Jan said...

The world is full of the "scientific"...but from my own experiences in life, the mentality of a situation is deep within one's soul and heart and yes, the mind. You have to fight from within to become strong enough to then fight from without. You have to want to feel better mentally and physically before healing can have a chance. This is just my side of the coin :)
A great "food for thought" post, William~

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Jan. And so we go, feeling our way . . . .