Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Sweeping


I am here, in this part of the world. You are there, in that part of the world. And this world is here, in this part of the solar system, in this part of the galaxy, in this part of the cosmos. And this part of the cosmos is here, in our bones, in our breaths, and in our minds.

Now, what shall we do with this knowledge?

Go out, take in the air, and sweep our sidewalks, of course.

And if you don’t have a sidewalk, or your sidewalk is obscured by hunger, poverty, and war, I will sweep mine all the more, with you in my heart.

Borders? Flags? Decrees? I will sweep them into oblivion, and clear the space for children to play.

Yes, I will live my life that way.

I am not an orator. I am not a gifted politician. I am not a constitutional lawyer. I am a simple, almost anonymous sixty-year-old man with exactly no time on his hands.

But I’m good with a broom.

And the truth is, I rather like sweeping. You see, my broom and I are on intimate terms. As intimate as the cosmos, and the palm in which it turns.



9 comments:

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

Okay. I'm in a good mood today so I will refrain from saying that I was swept away by this. 😀

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

It is, though, I will say, a fairly sweeping observation.

William Michaelian said...

Yours, or mine, you rascal? Because at some point here, I think I may have to switch to a shovel.

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

It was beautiful, as always.

William Michaelian said...

Well, maybe, at least since 8:44 a.m. Forget my shovel remark and focus on this one instead: Thank you, Gary.

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

My wife says you should forget the shovel and consider a bulldozer.

William Michaelian said...

I like the way she thinks. You see, while we’re busy splitting hairs, she instantly gets right to the heart of the matter. Furthermore, I think she should drive.

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

I, as an old coot, never dreamed I would and have, in fact, intentionally avoided ever actually saying this on the internet, but

LOL!

Thanks for making my day.😁

William Michaelian said...

Ha! You guys are great! Thanks, both of you.